CODE OF CONDUCT
This Code of Conduct summarizes the standards we have set for our day-to-day operations. Our Code of Conduct is based on the ten principles of the UN Global Compact, a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
1. Fair wages and a healthy working environment KOW Lifestyle abides by the legally set minimum wage for the garment industry in Cambodia and pays its employees a wage that is sufficient to meet their household’s basic needs. In addition, all staff receive free lunch meals and health-, life- and accident insurance.Working conditions comply with conditions established by national and local laws and ILO conventions. KOW Lifestyle cares about the overall well-being of its employees and provides a safe, healthy and pleasant working environment. We value an open and friendly company culture and strive to maintain an atmosphere that makes people enjoy coming to worK.
2. Respecting human rights and implementing fair trade practices
Freedom of Association and the right to Collective Bargaining – KOW Lifestyle does not interfere with staff’s wishes to join labour unions or otherwise associate. In fact, we seek to actively involve our staff in relevant decision-making processes. Collective bargaining is used in daily operations to reach agreements in relation to labour conditions, working hours, overtime, holidays etc.
No Child Labour – KOW Lifestyle explicitly forbids child labour. We keepcomplete and accurate records of all employees. All employees of KOW Lifestyle are over the legal minimum working age.
No Compulsory Labour – KOW Lifestyle employees are free to terminate their contracts without sanctions. Overtime is limited and always voluntary when it occurs.
Non-Discrimination and Gender Equity – KOW Lifestyle is committed to providing a working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, in policies and company culture. All processes of hiring, remuneration, promotion and access to training are made regardless of the person’s sex, age, religion, social background, disability, nationally or ethnic origin.
Transparency, accountability and non-corruption.
3. KOW Lifestyle is compliant in its policies and transparent in its management and commercial relations; records of financial data and practices are being kept, are accessible and up-to-date. The organization finds appropriate and participatory ways to involve employees in its decision-making processes. KOW Lifestyle strives for zero corruption in all its operations, on all levels.
4. Environment KOW Lifestyle sources and manufactures with the aim to leave a minimal footprint on this planet. A big goal for a small company, but we make our choices in careful consideration of the impact we have on this planet. The bulk of our raw materials are biodegradable and there are no chemicals used in the process of making KOW slippers. Our zero-waste project allows us to exercise our creativity and redesign scrap materials into exciting new products.
5. Capacity Building and Empowerment KOW Lifestyle wants its presence in Cambodia to leave a positive mark, by setting a standard as well as an example. We consider the employment relationship to be a two-way street: employment and sustainable income is provided in return for our staffs time and dedication. In addition, we take the opportunity to empower and help our staff develop and grow. This is achieved by allowing our staff to grow professionally within the company, to develop their skills through training and by expanding their knowledge of their health, body and environment.